CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Milk. Bread and Eggs

Ah, Indianapolis is under a Snow Warning for the second time in five days.  Each time snow is predicted the store shelves are emptied of bread, milk and eggs as Hoosiers prepare to hunker down for the storm.  I could never figure out why bread, milk and eggs?  French Toast!!!  

Today, the snow is here and the office was closed...what to make for breakfast?  FRENCH TOAST!  with a twist, of course!  I created Snow Day French Toast Casserole.  

I didn't think to take pictures as I mix things up so here is the rundown on this yummy concoction!

Preheat oven 350

Tear up about five pieces of bread...I just tore up enough to fill the dish.

In a separate bowl, beat 4 eggs...more if you are making a bigger batch.  This dish is 6 x 6 x 1.5.   Add milk (again, I didn't measure, just enough to make it milky)

Add sweetner - I lightened it by using Splenda adding enough to make it slightly sweet.

Add about a teaspoon of vanilla, spices ( I used pumpkin pie spice with some extra cinnamon but be creative!  I was wishing for some fresh orange peel but had none on hand)

Blend well then dump the bread into the egg mixture.  Mush it all up together so the bread absorbs the egg mixture.  It should be almost like batter with only a little excess liquid.  Add a little more milk or bread if need.  

At this point, I tossed in a handful of walnuts for some crunch...pecans would add some yumminess too!  Mix them in.  

Spray the dish with some non-stick spray. 

Cover the bottom with half the bread mixture.  

Sprinkle a generous layer of brown sugar (I had some Sugar Twin Brown Sugar in the pantry to help keep down the calories)

Top with remaining mixture and sprinkle with more brown sugar.  I topped it off with some pats of butter and into the oven.  I checked after 30 minutes and there was still some liquid when I checked the center so I popped it back in for another 15 minutes.

When completely baked through remove from oven and let stand for five minutes.  Scoop out a serving and top with some warm syrup.  Enjoy!

I have already thought of a few more variations with added fruit or other flavorings.  It is real comforting on snowy morning...thank goodness we had milk, bread and eggs.  

4 comments:

Angie said...

Looks and sounds very yummy. I am out of eggs....ugh. I could however use the substitute that I found earlier for egss.....it's a thought! :0) Here's where I found it.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/eggsub.html

There are other things at this site too but this is what I was looking for:

What is a good substitute for eggs?

Ener-G Egg Replacer - follow directions on box.
2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg
2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg.
1 banana = 1 egg in cakes.
1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!


Just thought I would pass it on to you. I have some banana so I think I'll try it on a cake that I am wanting to make.

Angie said...

Well, I have this in the oven with my egg substitute. I'll let you know if it turns out. It smells wonderful!!

:0) I also have a chocolate cake in the oven too made with banana instead of eggs. It was nice to be able to take a swipe without having to worry about the raw eggs. LOL

TiLT said...

we have a possible snow day headed our way right now for tomorrow...I may have to try this - sounds yummy :)

Angie said...

I made this earlier and we loved it!! I used the banana instead of the eggs because I was out and it was still good. We ate it while it was warm and drizzled the syrup over it....that is what set it off~!! YUM! It was eaten in one setting. LOL There are a lot of us and we all got a wedge. :0)

Will be made again. Thanks for sharing.