CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sew What?

Last night I did it! I got out the sewing machine! My father-in-law gave it to me. It used to belong to my husband's mother. She passed before we met. When my son moved out I was able to have my very own craft room. Now I have room for a sewing machine. I have never been thrilled with the thought of sewing but the more I considered it, the more I wanted to learn.

Last night, I looked through the owner's manual. It didn't seem too difficult so I pulled it out of the closet and decided to figure this machine out! I got it plugged in...and turned on! I threaded the machine and I was ready. I took a piece of cloth and put it on the machine and.....well, it wasn't pretty. I knew enough about sewing (barely enough) to know what was happening meant adjustments needed to be made. Hmmm...but what dial do I adjust? I studied the manual and about an hour later...voila! I was able to sew a semi-straight seam!!! Now, to anyone who is an avid seamstress that may not sound like a victory to you but for me, it was fabulous!!! I have more to learn...tons more, but I can sew! Now I need to do some research, find some books (I do have "Sewing for Dummies") and begin with some basics. I mainly want to do some embellished cloth diapers for burp cloths and things like that.

In other news, my daughter, Emily, is turning Sweet 16 tomorrow! I can't believe it! This means in the next year she will be driving! We will probably wait until next Spring for driver's training. By then, I will be ready to go through the process again both emotionally and financially. Right now, my husband takes her around the neighborhood so she can get a feel for being behind the wheel.


This is Emily...she is once again taking her own picture to post on her facebook page! She and her friends are constantly doing this. It just makes me giggle unless she is in the bathroom for way too long! The joys of having a teenage girl! This is the only picture I have on my computer at work. I will have to find some more especially ones that she is smiling!

Well for now...that's about it. I need to get to work. Tonight is rehearsal - more dancing!! It is great exercise, let me tell you.

Take care and don't forget to count your blessings today! God is good...God is good indeed!

~gloria







No comments: